Bula, Malo, Iokwe
Welcome to the home of the PPPO family!
The Pacific Plant Protection Organization (PPPO) was founded in October 1994 by the South Pacific Conference (now the Pacific Community Conference) at its 34th Session in Port Vila, Vanuatu. The Biosecurity and Sanitary & Phytosanitary (BSPS) unit of the Pacific Community’s Land Resources Division (SPC-LRD) is the Secretariat of the PPPO and administers its affairs.
The PPPO works in the interest of the national plant protection organizations (NPPOs) of the Pacific Island Countries and Territories (PICTs). The PPPO coordinates harmonization of phytosanitary measures and fosters cooperation in plant health, plant protection and other phytosanitary matters among Members as well as with countries and organisations outside the Pacific region. The PPPO acts for the Members in developing contacts with, and where appropriate, provides inputs into other global and regional organizations that have authority in such matters.
The PPPO provides advice on phytosanitary measures in order to facilitate trade without jeopardizing the plant health status of importing countries and, in particular:
- ensures that the views and concerns of the PICTs are adequately taken into account in the development and implementation of global phytosanitary measures;
- assists in the development and implementation of effective and justified phytosanitary measures;
- provides a framework for regional and global co-operation in phytosanitary matters consistent with international principles for trade in plants and plant products;
- facilitates the flow of information among Members and with other regional plant protection organisations; and
- collaborates with teams within SPC and/or with projects as well as with development partners working in the region on specific issues including pesticides and integrated pest management
The PPPO is mandated to exist as an auxiliary body of SPC and to continue within the existing structure of SPC under Article IV of the Canberra Agreement.
All Members of the SPC are Members of the PPPO.