This project which receives funding under the AusAID International Climate Change Adaptation Initiative has several components, namely:
- Establishment and evaluation of a climate ready collection which consists of crops and varieties with climate tolerant traits, such as drought tolerance, salt tolerance etc
- Collaboration with CSIRO in carbon fertilization work to progress the development of climate models for the crops of the Pacific
- Drought and salt tolerance research (Masters students)
- Breeding taro for climate tolerance traits – a participatory breeding programme in Samoa
- Agrobiodiversity studies – community-focused studies generating local knowledge on weather patterns and the response of diversity to any climate change. Such studies will also record indigenous knowledge. Diversity will also be introduced to assess its uptake by the community and its performance
© 2010 SPC Land Resources Division, All Rights Reserved.