MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT ANNONCE DE RÉUNION
TO: Representatives of Governments and Administrations
SUBJECT: FOURTH REGIONAL MEETING OF HEADS OF AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY SERVICES (HOAFS), 14–17 SEPTEMBER 2010
Governments and administrations are advised that the Fourth Regional Meeting of the Heads of Agriculture and Forestry Services (HOAFS) will be held from 14–17 September 2010 in Nadi, Fiji Islands.
It has been one and a half years since the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) Land Resources Division (LRD) Integrated Strategic Plan 2009–2012 has been in place. The principal objectives of this meeting include:
- review progress made in implementing LRD’s Integrated Strategic Plan, 2009–2012, and the HOAFS 2008 recommendations relating to agriculture, forestry and related fields;
- discuss the LRD’s new initiatives; and
- address important regional issues
The theme of this meeting is ‘Agro-biodiversity to address climate change, food security and trade’. A special session during the meeting will focus on the theme.
The workshop will be held at Tanoa International Hotel, Nadi, Fiji Islands.
The meeting will be convened by LRD.
- From each member country and territory, we hope to invite one representative of Agriculture and Forestry. Delegates to the meeting should be at the chief executive level of ministries or departments responsible for agriculture and forestry services or their deputies.
- Representatives of partner agencies and other regional and international organisations will also be invited as observers to the meeting. Some of the agencies will also be invited to make presentations. It is intended to set aside time to enable delegates to this meeting to consider projects of those other aid organisations and regional projects that may be interested in soliciting the views of a regional forum
of Heads of Agriculture and Forestry
8. The provisional agenda for the Regional Meeting of HOAFS is attached (Annex I). We hope to finalise the provisional agenda with the full objectives of the meeting by the end of July.
STATEMENTS AND WORKING PAPERS
9. Statements and Working Papers on the agenda items will be circulated to participants in the original
- It would be appreciated if governments and administrations prepare a country statement highlighting achievements since the last meeting of HOAFS, progress on the three objectives of the LRD Strategic Plan 2009–2012, and a section on the HOAFS theme. A template for reporting will be circulated
- Countries will be given the opportunity to highlight the progress on the three objectives of the LRD Strategic Plan 2009–2012 during the meeting. The objectives are: 1) improved food and nutritional security; 2) integrated and sustainable agricultural and forestry resource management and development; and 3) improved biosecurity and increased trade in agriculture and forestry products.
The meeting will be conducted in English and French. Simultaneous interpretation and translation services will be available.
- The Secretariat is only able to provide funding for official delegates from member PICTs, as specified in paragraph 14 below. All observers invited to the meeting will need to fund their participation.
- The Secretariat will provide round-trip excursion air fares or economy class air travel to Nadi, Fiji by the most direct route, and per diem for one representative each from the agriculture and/or forestry division from each island member government or administration. On receipt of the name
of the participant, the Secretariat will forward to the nominee an electronic airline ticket covering travel as necessary. Governments and administrations should arrange transit accommodation and other travel arrangements.
- Governments and administrations are invited to provide the Secretariat with details of the delegates and observers they may nominate, including nominees’ full address. Governments and administrations are asked to fill in the attached nomination form (Annex II) and return to the Secretariat no later than 30 July 2010 by fax or email.
- In order to facilitate communications, agreement is sought for the Secretariat to correspond directly with intending delegates once their nominations are received. Unless I am advised otherwise, I will assume that this arrangement is acceptable
- Appropriate international, regional and national organisations will be invited to send observers to the meeting.
- The Secretariat will not be responsible for the costs of observers’ attendance, although we will be glad to arrange hotel reservations.
Accommodation for meeting delegates will be arranged and facilitated by the Secretariat.
Participants should ascertain with their travel agents the requirements for a visa to enter Fiji, including those required for transit travel.
Intending participants are reminded that the Secretariat does not insure delegates while attending the meeting, or during travel to and from Fiji, and will not be responsible for any expenses arising out of sickness, injury, other disability, or loss of life.
Enquiries for further information on meeting arrangements should be addressed to:
Mr Inoke Ratukalou Ms Sushil Narayan
Acting Director, Land Use and Resources Policy Adviser Divisional Administrative Officer
Land Resources Division Land Resources Division
Secretariat of the Pacific Community Secretariat of the Pacific Community
Private Mail Bag, Suva, Fiji Islands Private Mail Bag, Suva, Fiji Islands
Tel: +679 3370733 ext. 236 Tel: +679 3370733 ext. 226
Direct: +679 3379236 Direct: +679 3379226
Fax: (679) 3370021 Fax: (679) 3370021