DATES AND VENUE
The Fifth Regional Meeting of the Heads of Agriculture and Forestry Services (HOAFS) will be held on 24 - 27 September followed by the Third Regional Conference of the Ministers of Agriculture and Forestry (MOAF) on 28 September, in Nadi, Fiji. The venue is Tanoa International Hotel in Nadi, Fiji.
The principal objectives of the conference include:
Review progress in implementation of the LRD’s Integrated Strategic Plan, 2009-2012, MOAF 2008 and HOAFS 2010 recommendations relating to agriculture, forestry and related fields;
Consider for endorsement, LRD’s new Strategic Plan implementation framework, 2013-2016;
Provide guidelines for formulating the Secretariat’s work plans for the next four years;
Discuss the Division’s new initiatives;
Address important regional issues.
Managing Strategic Risks to Agriculture and Forestry in the Pacific as the theme for the Meeting. A special session during the Fifth Regional Meeting of the HOAF will focus on the theme.
The meeting will be convened by the Secretariat (SPC's Land Resources Division). The Secretariat will be working together with officials of the Fiji Government to finalise arrangements and will keep members informed of developments as the meeting dates approach.
COMPOSITION OF DELEGATION
- From each member country and territory, we hope to invite two representatives of, as well as the Honourable Minister(s) responsible for, Agriculture and Forestry.
- Delegates to the Fifth Regional Meeting of the HOAFS should be at the Chief Executive level of the Ministries or Departments responsible for Agriculture and Forestry Services, or their deputies.
- Delegates to the Third Regional Conference of the MOAF should be the Ministers, or their deputies, of the Ministries. Nomination form (Annex 4) is attached.
- Representatives of partner agencies and relevant regional and international organisations will also be invited as observers. Representatives of such agencies will be invited to give brief statements at the Fifth Regional Meeting of the HOAFS. Nomination form (Annex 3) is attached.
- Nomination forms to be completed and sent back to reach the Secretariat by 31 July 2012.
ACCOMMODATION IN FIJI
Accommodation for meeting delegates from PICTs will be arranged at the Tanoa International Hotel in Nadi.
- An Electronic ticket for confirmed travel will be arranged by SPC for the nominated representatives and forwarded to the Government/Administration concerned. Alternative bookings will only be made at the expense of the Government/Administration concerned. Governments and Administrations should arrange transit accommodation and other travel arrangements for their delegates.
- In order to facilitate communications, agreement is sought for the Secretariat to correspond directly with intending delegates once their nominations are received. Unless we are advised otherwise, we will assume that this arrangement is acceptable.
The Secretariat of the Pacific Community is only able to provide funding for the official delegates from member PICTs. All observers invited to the meeting will need to fund their respective participation. The Secretariat will meet the costs listed below for some representatives from the Agriculture (Crops and Livestock) and/or Forestry divisions from member governments or administrations. Please nominate members of your Delegation to receive this representation financial assistance, and inform the Secretariat accordingly.